Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Farewell to Our Stories

Dear Our Stories,

It’s time for me to say goodbye, but I thank you for what has been a wonderful experience.  It has meant a great deal to me to work for a journal that values writers the way you do.  Sending work out into the world with hopes of publishing can be a daunting process.  At best, it’s a lonely one.  So I have appreciated the opportunity to work with a group of people who do it differently, people who strive to communicate openly and honestly about the endeavor.  As I’ve sat with stories, responding to them moment-to-moment, commenting on what I’m perceiving, or sharing my experience of the work, I have felt much less like a “reader” and more like someone engaged in a conversation.   To feel myself in a dialogue with other writers is all I could hope for at a journal.  It renews my hope for where publishing is going, and for the ways in which writers can acknowledge and support one another as we travel this path.

Thank you to Alexis, the Our Stories staff, and all the writers who’ve shared their work.

 All best, 

Ashley Farmer

No comments: